View topic - New ensign for National Historic Ships

New ensign for National Historic Ships

Maritime related discussion

Moderators: Alan H, JohnB, JasonP

New ensign for National Historic Ships

Postby Hamish » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:16 am

News in Classic Boat website, annoucing the British authorities have granted a defaced ensign for historic vessels. Should we seek our own unique NZ classic yacht ensign as well?

http://www.classicboat.co.uk/news/51732 ... oric-ships
Hamish

Re: New ensign for National Historic Ships

Postby Alan H » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:02 am

Of course we should - however would need to be a better look than the UK one (below) :?: . Also you have to love the designers title - 'chief flexillologist', heres me thinking that was a yoga instructor...... :lol:

Alan Houghton - Launch Captain
RainDance - 1928 Lane M B Co.
ahoughton@xtra.co.nz

Launch photos & tales herehttp://waitematawoodys.com

Launch calendar http://classicyacht.org.nz/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1802
Alan H

Postby JohnB » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:35 am

Is that a surfing kiwi?
JohnB

Postby donrobertson » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:10 am

JohnB wrote:Is that a surfing kiwi?

Love it!

perhaps the 'chief flexillologist' originally designed it, to fly from the flagstaffs of NZ surfboards, had it rejected so offered it to a committee of Brits interested in historic boats as a joke.
admitting to some bias, how about a black pennant with a horizontal white band for NZ?

Don
donrobertson

Postby Craig S » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:22 am

Is the white part the average look of a classic boatie in the UK?
Bottom lip out, pointy nose, squinty eyes.
Weird looking pennant though!
Craig S

Postby Patrick Xavier » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:16 pm

Hamish wrote:Should we seek our own unique NZ classic yacht ensign as well?

We've been here before - http://classicyacht.org.nz/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=865 - and I'm damned if I know what we concluded then.
Patrick Xavier

Postby JohnB » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:56 pm

My bet is the 'flexilloligist' is a New Zilander. Now that I look closer at the kiwi on a surfboardthroughaporthole, I believe I can see a vestigal koru as well.
Sort of reminds me of that bloke who snuck a Scotch flag onto the back of all the squaddy boats.

edit: adding lls
JohnB

Postby Alan H » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:19 pm

JohnB wrote:Is that a surfing kiwi?

No its a kiwi & a pukeko :lol:
ahoughton@xtra.co.nz

Alan H

Postby Hamish » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:35 pm

OK, the deal is we have to persuade the Queens Herald in NZ that a similar flag ought to be granted for NZ similar vessels . The fact that it has been done in the UK means we are ahead of the game (sorry Republicans - the Empire still has pull in these matters). If agreed, the flag will most likely be the NZ Blue Ensign (white cross on blue background small NZ flag in first quarter) defaced with a badge of some sort - say gaff rigged yacht such as used in our early CYA logos would make sense. There could be an outside chance of a Red Ensign in the same format, which would be more striking. He may want some control over its use like the UK version, and we might have to maintain a register with the National Maritime Museum. Happy to make the approach if the Committee are keen.
Hamish

Postby steveh » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:57 pm

I'm with you Hamish, and I'm keen to offer my services. But please no cardigan wearing knee high socked sandle ex hippies doing the design (sic) the english design which in my opinion is quite bazaar. I mean... What is it?
"There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothing" - Billy Connolly
steveh

Postby Alan H » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:25 pm

Hamish, u have my tick & Steve would be perfect but Steve its # 2 job after the new CYA website masthead :lol: :P :lol:
ahoughton@xtra.co.nz

Alan H

Postby Patrick Xavier » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:31 pm

There's a problem with the requirement that it be "defaced"; I prefer that Steve be charged with "enhancing" the ensign.
Patrick Xavier

Postby David Lackey » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:23 pm

Hamish will remember well, having been brought in by the squadron to find counter arguments to my attacks on the inappropriate use (in NZ) of the British Blue ensign and finally finding in my favour,
that the whole flag debate at the time centred around the complexity of NZ flag usage.

New Zealand boats overseas (and particularly at San Diego, CA. where Mr Fay was challenging for the America's Cup were wearing both the NZ National Flag (including Mr Fay) while others (including myself) were correctly wearing the NZ Maritime (red) ensign.

The Americans were confused, and part of my proposition was that it was counter productive (in terms of promoting NZ, NZ beef, NZ butter, NZ boats, NZ Tourism, NZ whatever) for us all to be waving different flags. We should all, like the Americans and most other countries, wear our National flag.

Subsequently, Hal Wagstaff and I had proposed that the NZ Maritime Ensign (the NZ Red Ensign) be retired as the Ensign for the NZ Maritime Museums - in other words for exactly the purpose Hamish is now advocating.

Sadly Transport NZ (or whatever the Marine Ministry was called at that time) lost the plot completely
and new legislation was brought in to make the NZ National Flag and the Red Ensign optional - in effect perpetuating the confusion.
David Lackey

Postby steveh » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:13 am

Nicely put David. I was a little bemused over the last thread on flag etiquette, and now am a little clearer on the subject.

On my eternal quest for authenticity, which is wavering, and doing everything as it was in the day, the yachts didn't fly ensigns anyway. At least not in any of Winklemann's photos of Ngatira that I have studied. It was either a House flag or club burgee. Frater's House flag was a Dark Maltese Cross on white background, evident on most Ngatira photos and later on Waitangi when he owned subsequently owned her.

Furthermore, if I was to try and fly the NZ National Flag or Red Ensign from a staff off the stern it would be lost at the first tack!
"There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothing" - Billy Connolly
steveh

Return to General Discussion