The wait is over! Another fantastic classic weekend is here!
42nd Mahurangi Regatta and the 179th Auckland Anniversary Regatta
25 – 28 January 2019
For full details for both race events and social events – keep scrolling down!
If you have never been to Mahurangi before, then make sure you do this year – it promises to be another spectacular weekend. The launch parade is back – bigger than ever – and the Prohibition Band are sure to put on another big night under the marquee at Scott’s Landing. There’s road access to both Sullivan’s Bay and Scott’s Landing for friends and family to join in.
This year also sees the first Classic Launch Race as part of the Auckland Anniversary Regatta in 100 years, so it promises to be something special!
See you there!
Night Race to Mahurangi – 25th January
This race is organised by the Devonport Yacht Club. Enter on the CYA website here
Please note that classic and modern classic yachts competing in this race are to take their own finish times and provide these to Joyce Talbot via text message on 021 818 448. The finish line is described in the Sailing Instructions.
Anchoring in Sullivan’s Bay – all arriving yachts and launches are requested to keep clear of the fairway marked by orange buoys laid in Sullivan’s Bay – this will form the access route into the bay for the classic launch parade on Saturday.
42nd Mahurangi Regatta – 26th January
42nd anniversary of regatta revival by Mahurangi Action
160th anniversary of the first-recorded Mahurangi Regatta
A full programme of events is available on the Mahurangi Action website. Here are the highlights:
- 0900-1000 – Registrations for Classic Launch Parade
- 0900-1130 – Entries for sailing events
- 0900-1100 – Launching of trailered boats entered in regatta, at Sullivans Bay
- 0930-1130 – The Jane Gifford assumes her station as start boat
- 1030 – Classic Launch Parade—best viewed, and commentary heard, from southern half of beach
- 1100 – Shoreside events begin—running, sack, three-legged, and spud and spoon (enter at starting line)
- 12 pm – Master of the Mahurangi
- 1240 – Sailing events commence – Te Haupa Trophy
- 1250 – Frostbites, Mistrals and Zephers
- 1300 – Reactor and H28
- 1320 – A Class
- 1340 – Mahurangi Cup, L-Class, and Traditional Spirit Trophy
- 1400 – Modern Classics
- 1300-1430 – Sand Sculpture competition. Divisions for under 7 years, 7 to 11 years, 12 to 16 years, adults
- 1400 – Shoreside events resume—swimming, kayak, open (sit-on) kayak, and, possibly, dinghy, blindfold boat, lost-the-dinghy-oars, rowed inflatable etc.— and any other event suggested that seems a good idea at the time! i.e. water run (enter by presenting at starting line)
- 1600 – Tug-of-war
- 1615 – Humongous annual egg-throwing competition
- 1630 – Lolly scramble (grand finale of shoreside events)
Saturday evening BBQ & dance
Kick-off from 1800hrs. Prize-giving will be held in front of the marquee at Scott’s Landing, followed by dancing under the big tent to the Prohibition Big Band (West City Jazz Orchestra). Free barbecues will be provided – BYO everything else.
Entry for sailing events
Please enter Mahurangi Regatta sailing events on the Mahurangi Cruising club website
Please note that the Mahurangi Regatta race is run under the International Regulations For Preventing Collisions at Sea (COLREGs), rather than RRS.
Return Passage Race to Auckland – 27th January
There will be a prizegiving held at the members bar of the RNZYS from 1800 hrs Sunday for both passage races. Come along for a drink and a catch-up. There are wine and rum prizes for top finishers – but you have to be there to claim your prize!
Auckland Anniversary Regatta – 28 January
Check out the AAR website for full details of events around the harbour on the day. The highlights:
- 0930 – Dragonboat Races kick off in the Viaduct
- 1000 – Tugboat Race
- 1100 – Classic Launch Parade (see more details below)
- 1200 – Keel boat racing gets underway including:
- 1215 – Modern Classic
- 1220 – A Classic
- 1225 – B Classic
For those on a weekend cruise wanting to take part, passage races are part of the event – from Mahurangi, Kawau, and Rakino.
Please enter online here
Classic Launch Race
Have you entered yet? Time is ticking, and there’s some fantastic prizes on offer! Time’s running out to enter the Ports of Auckland Anniversary Regatta and put yourself in the running to win cash, a huge pool of spot prizes including a holiday in Hawaii, and your name on our historic trophy collection.
It’s been 100 years or more since a race for power craft was part of the Auckland Anniversary Regatta. But this year, for the first time since the early 1900s, the regatta will feature a Classic Launch Race – and we’d love for you to be part of this historic revival.
This “new” (old) event is the perfect opportunity to show off these wonderful vessels in front of a huge audience of spectators, and a chance to prove once and for all – who has the fastest launch of them all.
Entries cost just $30, and every entry received will go in the draw to win a holiday in Hawaii plus loads more.
Enter now at www.regatta.org.nz